Announcing Working Hero PAC.
At Working Hero, we believe everyone who works should be able to afford their basic needs like housing, health care, food, education and transportation. Poverty is still a reality for too many people in our state. Right now, 2 of 5 Californians live in or near poverty, and 1 of 2 Californians couldn’t afford a $400 surprise expense. These are your coworkers, your friends, people who work in your grocery store down the street. Maybe you’ve experienced terrible financial stress — or are in financial stress right now.
It’s time for like-minded folks to come together and settle for nothing less than an end to poverty. Our mission will require bold political action, which starts with us supporting leaders who share our mission to end poverty. Last year, through the non-profit CalEITC4Me, we won a big victory in California to bring the Earned Income Tax Credit to three times the number of our hard working neighbors: And this year the Governor is calling for an even more massive expansion of the program to include young workers beginning their careers and those over 64 who are still working hard. Our victories have happened because we empowered tens of thousands of Californians to contact their representatives to champion the expansion of the EITC.
Now we are taking a new step to build movement toward ending poverty. We’ve started Working Hero PAC to support candidates who are committed to creating a future where everyone who works can afford life’s basic needs. The policies Working Hero candidates and incumbents will support include but will not be limited to:
1) To Make Work Pay Better
- Massive Expansion of the EITC
- $15 federal minimum wage
- full ratification of the ERA to finally fight the gender wage gap
- equalizing the tax rates on wealth income (capital gains and dividends) and earned income (from wages) so wealth is no longer taxed at a lower rate than work
2) To Ensure Basic Needs are more affordable
- Medicare For All
3) To Ensure the Same Rules for All
- Reinstating Glass-Steagall to prevent a repeat of the Great Financial Crisis
- Effective anti-trust enforcement that considers all of the negative effects of monopolies on wages, choice and democratic institutions
- Constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United
- Buffet Rule implementation
- CEO Tax loophole
Our vision is that every working Californian should live with full financial security and be able to afford their basic needs. We can create this future if we choose the right policies. It’s up to us to push our leaders toward those policies. So, join our movement today as a founding member and let’s get to work!
Fighting for California’s Working Heroes.
Poverty is still a reality for too many people in our state. Right now, 2 of 5 Californians live in or near poverty. It’s time for like-minded folks to come together and settle for nothing less than an end to poverty. At Working Hero PAC our mission will require bold political action, which starts with us supporting leaders who share our mission to end poverty.